Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Jump Back, Honey, Jump Back

“Don’t forget who you are,”
She said.

“Don’t forget when you’re out there
with your friends
that before you were born
there was a place for you here, in my house

where we sing like Angels
dance like drops of water in a hot iron skillet
and glow like distant stars.”

We stay up late with the hot comb and grease
We wake up early for braids and beads
We walk to church five times a week

“There is still a place for you here, in my house,”
She says,
“where we shower love and sprinkle correction
smile into each other like mirrors
and remind ourselves of Home.”

Nana will let you eat steak at midnight
Nana will cry sometimes for no reason
Nana will open her doors for you

“There will always be a place for you here, in my house,”
She says,
“when it turns cold outside and you’ve gone too far
when the street lights come on and you see
the game is over.”

Leading me out of the lion’s mouth
though my soul looks back and wonders how
I think I understand what she’s been talking about

“Don’t forget who you are,”
She said.

“Always remember where you come from.”

No comments:

Post a Comment